As many families head out of town for spring break it is important to ensure their homes remain secure while they are enjoying their vacations. Burglars want homes that are easy to get in and out of. If it becomes obvious that you are out of town, your home could become an easy target to these intruders.
Here are a few ways you can keep your home safe while you’re away.
- Leave a light on. A totally dark home is a sure sign that you aren’t there.
- Ensure all doors and windows are locked. This seems obvious but sometimes this gets overlooked as you are rushing out the door.
- Have a neighbor pick up your newspaper and packages. You don’t want someone stealing your deliveries either, so this is a win, win.
- Park all vehicles in the garage, if possible. Once a burglar gets into your car it’s likely they could get access into your home via your garage door opener.
- Resist the temptation to post about your trip on social media. Posting advertises to everyone that you are gone and your house is empty!
- Don’t leave a spare key outside. Sadly, burglars know all the common places for hide-a-keys.
- Turn off the water to your house. This can mitigate any potential water leaks or emergencies while you are gone.
- Set your thermostat back so you can save costs on your energy bills. That extra money can now be spent in the gift shop on your vacation.